Wednesday, May 11, 2005

VW Passat

OK, my 1998 VW Passat will be the last non-Japanese car I own. After 3 or 4 recalls and randomnly failing components -- first the anti-lock brakes and most recently the ignition control module -- I'm convinced that only the Japanese cracked the code on how to reliably manufacture automobiles.

Having worked with Japanese companies like NEC in my professional life, I can personally vouch for the typical Japanese attention to detail. So from here on out, it'll be Honda or Toyota or a similar brand. Next up: the Honda Odyssey. Even the Japanese models made in the States (as opposed to Japan) are measurably more reliable than anything coming out of Germany or the US manufacturers. Hats off to them!

Aside from reliability, I've been reasonably happy with the Passat. It drives well, gets great mileage (over a few months when I'm on a typical commute route, I average over 28 mpg), and is very spacious (e.g., we can fit three car seats side-by-side in the back). Alas, if they could only marry the functionality with reliability...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home